VIMALA PROVINCE KOTHAMANGALAM
The Diocese of Kothamangalam was established in the year 1957. Consequently in the year 1962, the F.C.C. of Ernakulum Province was divided in to two, forming the new Province, namely Vimala Province Kothamangalam. The first convent of Kothamangalam was established at Paingottoor Parish on 4th Feb. 1930, as a result of the strenuous work of Rev. Fr. Xavier Kochumuttom. The Arch Bishop of Ernakulum Rt. Rev. Dr. Augustine Kandathil and our Mother General Rev. Mother Mariam Thresia (Ernakulum) gave permission and encouragement for starting this convent. Rev. Mother Margareetha of Changanassery, one of the foundresses of the Congregation (till 3rd May 1932), Rev. Mother Bernardeetha of Bharanaganam (till 1933) and Rev. Mother Clare of Angamaly were the first members whom we are proud of as a heavenly blessing. VIMALA grew rapidly under the loving care of Mar. Mathew Pothanamuzhi, the first Bishop of Kothamangalam.
From 1962 onwards our sisters were sent to different undeveloped areas of High Ranges in Idukki to do services. In the Year 1969 the sisters also went to different mission stations in Andhra Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh. The mission grew up fast and in the year 1994, the new mission Vice Province, Nirmala vice Province Vijayawada was formed. In 1997 the Nirmala Vice Province was raised in to a Province. After the erection of the Idukki diocese, the Province was divided and Idukki Nirmal Rani Province was established on 2nd August 2004.
At present, the Province is blessed with 41 houses 3 Residences and 523 sisters. Now the Province has its mission houses in Maharashtra, Bangalore, and Haryana. Missionary zeal has led the sisters to Germany and America. Ethiopian and Irish mission had been closed due to political reasons.